Sunday, May 10, 2009

happy mother's day

I've read through a couple of blogs and found that many have dedicated an entry to their mothers in conjuction with mothers day.

I would like to think that I think of my mother everyday and not just to comemorate her over some stinking day.

But being the kiasu person that I am, I've decided to do one as well :)

This is my mum (and our annoyed cat)



Her name is Zaimah Abu Bakar, or Dr Zaimah Abu Bakar.
Yeah, first impressions are almost never true.

Anyway, she's 46 and she's a doctor. Again, almost unlikely eh?
She once said to me

"I dunno la girl, I also dunno how I became a doctor"

And when I agree, she gets mad.
Pfft.
Try to be a good daughter and this is what you get.

When I was younger, I liked to hear stories about how she use to travel through Penang in her Kapcai motorcycle during her medical school days, trying out the the stalls in Gurney Drive, going to clubs after exams and movie hopping without paying (yes, USM doctors endorse piracy).

It was the life I wanted for myself.

The stories I loved the most were the ones during her houseman days, where she encountered numerous patients with the most unconventional of diseases and conditions (there was one she had to perform a simple operation on a fellow colleagues brother in law to find out that this patient of hers had enlarging equipment attachment to his penis)

So yeah, awesome or what?

So despite, all her shortcomings
  • she mispronouces career as carrier, maim as mime, gnome as genome and bestow as best-tau
  • whatever monetary issues brought to her will be ended with 'go ask your daddy'
  • she treats my Fatboy like crap and her Bally (pictured above) like a king
  • she can't stop lecturing me on how I drive, every single time

All I want to say is,

I love you mummy

and I can't wait to come home.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: