Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dear Future Husband.

Dear Future Husband,

As of today, I'm an 18 year old girl with limited housework experience and with a less than idealistic physical appearance. I'm immature, intolerant, borderline ignorant and very headstrong. But all that will change. I will learn, awaiting to be taught, to be led by you, oh future husband.

All I want to do right now is return to my parents, To be by their side, sharing the joy of the world, laughing and joking with our intimate little family. These are the parents who one day I will leave to be with you, oh darling husband. And when I want to visit them, I will do this only with your consent. And I beg of you, please future husband, to let me meet my parents as much as I can.

As for my friends, these are the people I grew up with, dear future husband. Even thinking of them right now, my heart wrenches with so much emptiness. Since I have no siblings of my own, these are the people who are my brothers and sisters, my other kin. So spending time with them, to reminisce about the life we explored with each other would bring so much meaning to me. But as usual, I will do this only with your consent.

I grew up in a modern society, a society that permits women pursue an education, a career, a life where they can meet end's meet. My hope is that in my current pursuit of an education, you would allow me to work, for it is my dream to practice medicine, to help others and to aid the sick. If my mother could do it, and the other hundreds of women who juggle both career and family, I believe strongly that I too can do it. But only with your consent

But all this tolerance will not be in vain, oh future husband. I promise to be an examplery wife, who will dote on our children, who will carry your burdens. I will listen to to you, your tribulations, and relieve the ordeals that life will try to throw at you. I might not afford to wait on you hand and foot, but at least I will try to ease every bitter taste that life might leave in your mouth.

I will love you as if time stood still, just waiting for us. I will remain faithful as long you too are faithful. You shall be my priority, even if I will still be your second. Our children will learn your philosophies and bear your name.

But only with your consent.

Love,
Nazeera Nasir.
Your future wife.

P.S
Don't worry Daddy. I don't want to get married now. I was in the mood to be all Khaled Hosseini, with marriage, love and religion to be in the mix. And exam's over, so yeah... I'm bored.

No comments: